Chateau Rauzan Segla 2004
Chateau Rauzan Segla 2004 has a long and interesting history dating all the way back to 1661. On September 7, Pierre Desmezures de Rauzan became the new owner of The Noble House of Gassies, from the de Gascq family. At the time, Pierre de Rauzan was well versed in the Bordeaux wine world. He was already the manager of Chateau Margaux. He remained with Chateau Margaux for 2 more years before joining Rauzan Segla full time. He returned to Chateau Margaux a few years later.
Believe it or not, he also maintained the same responsibilities at Chateau Latour. If that was not enough, he later purchased the vineyards that make up what we know today as Pichon Lalande and Pichon Baron in Pauillac. In 1692, after Pierre de Rauzan’s death, his three sons shared the family holdings in Margaux. The Pauillac properties passed to his younger daughter Therese. This event eventually led to the creation of the Pichon Longueville Baron estate in Pauillac. The beginning of the 18th century sparked the division between Rauzan Segla and Rauzan Gassies. The second brother, known as Sieur de Gassies began making his wine separately from his two brothers. This practice continued for decades. Obviously, that caused too much friction. Eventually, the estates separated.
By the end of the 18th century, the wines of Rauzan Segla had become famous all over the world. Thomas Jefferson, who went on to become the third President of the United States ordered 10 cases of Rauzan Segla after visiting Bordeaux in 1787. At that time Thomas Jefferson declared Rauzan Segla was truly at the top of the Second Growths.
Chateau Rauzan Segla is planted to 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot. The new plantings feature more Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and the addition of Petit Verdot. This has clearly helped as the wines are markedly better since 2009.